Monday, October 13, 2008

Ubuntu "Fun"



Ok well I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit on my desktop (disc courtesy of Bucci).
First thing I did when I installed it was install the restricted ATI driver from the restricted driver manager, easy stuff.

Then I went ahead and edited the /etc/apt/sources.list to include all the commented out sources for non-free packages and whatnot, then I did:
sudo apt-get update
To update the list of all the packages, then:
sudo apt-get install wine
To install wine
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
To install Flash, Java, MP3 Playback and all that fun jazz.

Now that I have MP3 playback I really wanted a good audio player, so I decided to get BMP which is basically an Amarok clone for Gnome:
sudo apt-get install bmpx
Once you install bmpx you need to go into it and tell it to use PulseAudio or it'll crash every time you try and play music (not exactly what you want it to do :P) so the menu you want is:
BMP -> Preferences then from the Audio System dropdown pick PulseAudio then click apply in the bottom right, now that's all good :D

To gain access to the "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings" go:
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Now that you have those, to enable Expose for the top right goto:
System->Preferences->Advanced Desktop Effects Settings->Window Management Section-> Scale->Bindings Tab
Look for a setting called "Initiate Window Picker For All Windows" and assign it to the top right :)

I wanted Task Manager to be setup like Windows, so I found this:
gconftool-2 -t str --set /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_9 "gnome-system-monitor"
gconftool-2 -t str --set /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_9 "Delete"

Now when you press ALT+DEL task manager will open :D

No comments: